Thursday, April 26, 2007
I really wished my ice cream maker had more capacity after having some last night.
Wednesday, April 25, 2007
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
¾ cup sugar
2 egg yolks, beaten
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1. Combine the cream, milk and sugar in a saucepan on double boiler; heat until warm and the sugar is completely dissolved. Add 1 cup of the cream mixture to the yolks while whisking lightly. Gradually pour the egg mixture back into the cream mixture while continuing to whisk lightly.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the back of your spoon is thinly coated, about 8 minutes. Do not allow to boil or the ice cream custard mixture will curdle.
3. Add the lychee and lemon juice and let it cool in the refrigetator overnight.
4. Freeze in an electric or manual ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. If you don't have an ice cream maker you can put the ice cream custard in a bowl and put it in your freezer until frozen.
Tuesday, April 17, 2007
from chocolate and zucchini blog
Cotilde writes: "In my defense, I never make this salad in exactly the same way: I use either lemon or orange juice, I throw in fresh herbs -- especially cilantro -- and shallots if I have them on hand, I use tofu or chicken or a soft-boiled egg depending on what the fridge has to offer, and on a couple of rejoicing occasions I've folded sprouted mustard seeds into the salad. But the basic structure, give or take the occasional riff, is outlined below."
Carottes Rapées à l'Avocat
- One small ripe avocado, about 150 grams (5 1/3 ounces), diced
- The juice of a lemon or an orange
- A dash of balsamic vinegar or oxymel
- Fine sea salt, freshly ground pepper
- Tabasco sauce or similar (I use Bayou Red) or strong mustard, to taste
- 4 medium carrots, about 450 grams (1 pound) total, peeled and grated
- 250 grams (9 ounces) firm tofu or cooked chicken, diced
- Toasted seeds -- sunflower, sesame, flax, or a mix thereof
Combine the avocado, lemon juice, and balsamic vinegar in a medium salad bowl, and mash the avocado roughly with a fork. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce. Fold in the carrots and tofu, and stir until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for half an hour or up to a day. Toss again before serving, adjust the seasoning, and sprinkle with liberal amounts of toasted seeds.