Tuesday, April 17, 2007

April: Carottes Rapées à l'Avocat

[Grated Carrot Salad with Avocado]
from chocolate and zucchini blog

Cotilde writes: "In my defense, I never make this salad in exactly the same way: I use either lemon or orange juice, I throw in fresh herbs -- especially cilantro -- and shallots if I have them on hand, I use tofu or chicken or a soft-boiled egg depending on what the fridge has to offer, and on a couple of rejoicing occasions I've folded sprouted mustard seeds into the salad. But the basic structure, give or take the occasional riff, is outlined below."

Carottes Rapées à l'Avocat

- One small ripe avocado, about 150 grams (5 1/3 ounces), diced
- The juice of a lemon or an orange
- A dash of balsamic vinegar or oxymel
- Fine sea salt, freshly ground pepper
- Tabasco sauce or similar (I use Bayou Red) or strong mustard, to taste
- 4 medium carrots, about 450 grams (1 pound) total, peeled and grated
- 250 grams (9 ounces) firm tofu or cooked chicken, diced
- Toasted seeds -- sunflower, sesame, flax, or a mix thereof

Serves 2.

Combine the avocado, lemon juice, and balsamic vinegar in a medium salad bowl, and mash the avocado roughly with a fork. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce. Fold in the carrots and tofu, and stir until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for half an hour or up to a day. Toss again before serving, adjust the seasoning, and sprinkle with liberal amounts of toasted seeds.

Posted by Maria @ 11:03 AM